Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
You would think an appetizer like deviled eggs that has only two main ingredients would be simple to make. I mean come on how can you make deviled eggs the wrong way? You boil some eggs, cut them in half and mix the yolks with mayo or Miracle Whip. How hard is that? Well it's not really hard at all but there are some things you can do to make your deviled eggs shine like no one else's.
- To boil an egg correctly place your eggs in a pot. Make sure there is room for the eggs to move around as they boil so they don't crack. Fill with water so the water is an inch or more over the eggs. Bring to a boil. Allow eggs to boil only for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the heat off, put a lid on the pot and move the pot off of the hot burner. Allow eggs to sit in the hot water for about 15 minutes. The hot water will continue to cook the eggs and you will have lovely mustard yellow yolks. After fifteen minutes rinse with cold water and peel.
- FYI if your shell sticks to the egg membrane your eggs are too fresh. This is not caused from over cooking your eggs. Buy your eggs a few days in advance of hard boiling them.
- Cut your hard boiled eggs in half with a sharp knife. Put the whites on a plate or in a deviled eggs dish. Put the yolks in the bowl of a food processor. Once you've got all the yolks in the processor pulse the yolks for about a minute. Add the rest of the ingredients into the food processor bowl and turn it on low and let it mix for about 1 1/2 minutes. Scrap down the bowl and pulse it a couple more times.
- That's it! Your filling is done and there shouldn't be any lumps of egg yolk. You can slide the bowl of a spoon across the top of the filling to check for lumps. Believe me you will see them if they are there. If there are lumps run your processor for another minute.
- Filling your egg whites can be done simply by spooning the filling in with a teaspoon or you can get fancy like I did today and put all the filling in a piping bag with a star tip. It's a little more work to use the piping bag but the deviled eggs look so pretty when they are filled this way. When I want to get fancy I use the bag and tip otherwise I will just use a spoon. My husband inhales them so quickly I usually just use the bag for the holidays.
- You can sprinkle some paprika on top to make them look prettier. My husband is picky about his deviled eggs and he doesn't like the paprika so I never use it.
- Thanks for stopping by!
I made these as directed using mayonnaise. They were good, a lot like our family recipe except ours is a little drier. I don't think using a food processer adds anything to the dish except something else to wash.........you could do just as well with a fork. We did enjoy them. Made for Zaar Cookbook tag game.
OR.... skip out on the mustard and add a little Mt.Olive sweet cubes instead :) it's super yummy ,just be sure to not use too much, some people might also want to try them LIGHTLY sprinkle with a lil seasoned salt instead of paprika :)