1/17 Photos of How to Make and Roll Sushi
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
Many people love sushi, but are intimidated to make it themselves, however, it is REALLY EASY to make, and a LOT of FUN too! You won't believe how creative you can get while making your sushi. The sky is the limit really! Add any veggies and fish you like, and be creative. Please note that this is basically a TUTORIAL on "How To Roll Sushi" and "How To Arrange Your Ingredients". Some of my favorite sauces are Japanese Tsume and Tare - Nitsume or Thick, Sweet Eel Sauce, Linda's Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for Dipping (Egg Rolls, Sushi), and a recipe I just posted for Linda's Spicy Mayonnaise Sauce for Sushi. ALSO, please check out the recipe I just posted for Types of Sushi Rolls. With this tutorial and the recipes for Types of Sushi Rolls, you have all you need to create a Sushi Lover's Dream! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 nori, sheet
- 236.59 ml rice, sushi, prepared
- vegetables, your choice
- fish, your choice (raw or tempura)
- spicy mayonnaise (or any other sauce you like with your sushi)
- smelt, roe (Masago) (optional)
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- soy sauce (optional)
- wasabi (optional)
- pickled ginger (optional)
- eel, sauce (Sweet Eel Sauce to drizzle over top) (optional)
- 1Prepare any sauces you will be making to use on your rolls ahead of time, so they will be ready.
- 2Cut any vegetables you will be using in long thin strips about 1/4". (I like using European cucumbers with seeds removed, carrots, avocados, and green onions).
- 3If you are using Tempura Shrimp it takes 2 large shrimp per roll. Just place them end to end on your roll.
- 4If you're using Tempura Soft Shelled Crab, you use one crab per roll, laying it out so the claws will be sticking out each end of roll.
- 5If you are making rolls with raw fish on top (such as the Rainbow Roll), slice the fish pieces about 1/4" thick, and they should be about 1" wide pieces.
- 6If you are using tuna or salmon inside the rolls cut them into small chunks.
- 7To Make A Roll With The Rice On The Inside:.
- 8Place your mat on the surface you will be working on.
- 9Place a piece of saran wrap on top of your mat.
- 10Place a nori sheet on the saran wrap, shiny side down.
- 11Dip your hands in water and then grab about 3/4-1 cup of cooked sushi rice, and place it on the nori sheet. (Dipping your hands in water first will stop the rice from sticking to your hands). If you like less rice use 3/4 cup if you like a little more, use about 1 cup. You don't want it so thick that it's difficult to roll.
- 12Bring the rice up to just about 1" from the far end of the nori sheet (the end without rice will help the roll to hold together).
- 13Spread out the rice evenly with your hands, dipping them in the water if your hands start sticking.
- 14Press the rice down with your hands, to make it stick to the nori sheet.
- 15Place the ingredients your going to use in a horizontal line across the center of the rice.
- 16Pour any sauce you may be using on top, such as Spicy Mayonnaise.
- 17If Your Making An Inside Out Roll:.
- 18Where the rice is on the outside of the roll, put on your rice, then flip over so that the rice is on the saran wrap, and then place your ingredients in a horizontal line across the center of the rice.
- 19If Your Making A Roll With Fish On Top Of Roll (Ex:Rainbow Roll):.
- 20Place your fish pieces vertically over.
- 21lapping each other a little across the length of your roll.
- 22To Roll The Sushi:.
- 23Taking your fingers bring up the nori sheet, covering the ingredients.
- 24Bring the mat up over the top of the ingredients, and start rolling up the sushi tightly to form a neatly packed cylinder (Like a fat cigar).
- 25Squeeze firmly to make sure the sushi roll is tightly packed (be careful not to squeeze too hard or you'll break the sushi roll).
- 26Unroll the mat, and you have your sushi roll.
- 27Cut each sushi roll into 1 1/2" rounds using a sharp, damp knife (it's important that you re-moisten the knife after each cut). (I usually cut in the middle of the roll, then in the middle of each of piece to make 4 pieces, then in the middle of those 4 to make 8 pieces altogether.
- 28Plate your sushi.
- 29You May Also Try This Way:.
- 30When ready to roll, bring up the nori sheet and saran wrap over the ingredients, then roll pressing with your hands until it's rolled up like a cigar.
- 31Take your mat and place it over your roll, and press the roll with your hands to tighten roll.
- 32When Cutting Rolls With Fish On Top:.
- 33It is helpful to cut with the roll wrapped in the saran wrap. Just cut as instructed above with the saran wrap on top of the mat, then when done rolling take off the mat, cut through the saran wrap to cut your sushi into pieces, then pull off the saran wrap.
- 34Plate your sushi.
- 35If Using Eel Sauce:.
- 36Drizzle over the top of your sushi.
- 37Serve along with wasabi, pickled ginger, soy sauce, or any other sauce you may like to use for dipping.
- 39If using Lump Crab mixed with Spicy Mayonnaise or Masago on top of your sushi, spread on right before cutting, then cut as above.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Make and Roll Sushi
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 702.0
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 154.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: