Preparing a Texas Roadhouse Cactus Blossom is simple and can save significant funds over visiting the restaurant for the fried onion appetizer. The Cactus Blossom, served at Texas Roadhouse restaurants, is very similar to a Bloomin' Onion, served at Outback Steakhouse, and Awesome Blossom, served at Chili's, and a Texas Rose, served at Lonestar Steakhouse. Learning how to make an onion blossom like they do at Texas Roadhouse is simple. The Texas Roadhouse Onion Blossom recipe features a whole onion which is sliced to separate the petals, then coated in a seasoned batter and deep fried. The finished dish gives the appearance that the onion has "bloomed" and opened up, exposing the many crispy petals within. Serve the Cactus Blossom with the spicy dipping sauce recipe made with horseradish that they use for the onion blossom at Texas Roadhouse or substitute ranch dressing or any other type of dip. For a more kid-friendly taste, ketchup or Thousand Island dressing my also be used as dipping sauces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
TEXAS ROADHOUSE CHILI-HORSERADISH DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
TEXAS ROADHOUSE ONION BATTER
- 1Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, chili sauce, cayenne pepper and horseradish sauce in a medium mixing bowl until well combined.
- 2Divide sauce among small condiment cups. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 3Heat the oil in a deep fryer or larrge stock pot to 375-400° Fahrenheit.
- 4Prepare the seasoned flour mix by combining flour with garlic powder, paprika, sugar and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Whisk seasonings and flour to incorporate well.
- 5Slice 3/4 inch of the root end of each onion.
- 6Make 12-16 slices into the trimmed end working in a clockwise manner. Do not cut completely through the onion, leaving about an inch of uncut onion near the opposite root end.
- 7Remove about 1 inch of the center petals from each onion.
- 8Toss the onions in the seasoned flour to coat well. Peel back the petals slightly to allow the flour to reach between each petal, but do not remove.
- 9Combine remaining flour, paprika, pepper, cornstarch, salt, and garlic salt and beer in a second large mixing bowl. Whisk well until smooth.
- 10Dip the floured onions in the batter. Allow excess batter to drip off each onion.
- 11Use a fryer basket to carefully place the battered onions, one at a time, into the hot oil. Cook for about 90 seconds, flip and cook for an additional 90 seconds.
- 12Transfer onions to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- 13Place on a serving platter and insert the cup of dipping sauce in the center of each onion.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Make a Texas Roadhouse Cactus Bloom
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.2
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.0 mg
- Sodium 340.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: