1/3 Photos of How to Hard Boil an Egg
Sooz Cooks's Note:
This is the best method to use when making Deviled Eggs for the holidays - or any other time! From Mr. Breakfast: Note: Extremely fresh eggs are not recommended when making hard-boiled eggs. They are very difficult to peel. This is the best use for eggs nearing their expiration date.
My Private Note
- 1Use eggs nearing their expiration date.
- 2Remove desired number of eggs from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- 3Place eggs in a small sauce pan and add just enough water to completely cover eggs. (Note: the smaller the pan; the less room the eggs have to jump around and crack into each other).
- 4Bring the water to a rolling boil. Covering the pan will lead to a quicker boil and is recommended.
- 5Immediately reduce heat to simmer and remove the cover from the pan.
- 6Let the eggs sit in the simmering water for 12 minutes. (11 minutes for medium eggs; 13 minutes extra-large eggs).
- 7Carefully remove the pan from the stove top and place beneath the kitchen faucet. Run cool water into the pan for a minute until the water is cool to the touch. Give each egg a little whack to the side of the pan, so each egg has one or two cracks. Some will tell you that this lets pent-up sulphur escape. More practically, this allows a little steam to build between the cooked egg and its shell to make peeling easier. Let the eggs sit in the cool water for 2 to 5 minutes.
- 8To peel the Mr Breakfast way: Place hard-boiled egg on a hard surface such as a cutting board. Roll the egg back and forth - applying a very slight amount of pressure. Remove the cracked shell beneath a faucet of cool running water.
- 9If peeling multiple eggs, place peeled eggs in a bowl of cold water while you work the others. Refrigerating peeled eggs is not recommended. Hard-boiled eggs - still in their shell - can be stored in a refrigerator for 5 days.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Hard Boil an Egg
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g