1/1 Photo of How to Grill Oysters
SUPER simple!!! Serve with a squeeze of lemon, BBQ sauce, cocktail sauce, horseradish, salsa. . .you name it! No shucking required. NOTE: make sure you buy LARGE oysters, as they are quite small when cooked and also make sure your heat is on HIGH or else the shells won't pop open. 2 dozen oysters will serve 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main course. Recipe from Steven Raichlen's How to Grill.
My Private Note
- 1Preheat grill to high (very important, otherwise they will not get hot enough to pop open the shells).
- 2Check oysters for freshness by tapping each oyster gently on a work surface to make sure they close their shells when tapped. Discard any oysters that don't close.
- 3Place the oysters on the grate with the deeper shell down to hold in the juices.
- 4Grill for 5-8 minutes. Remove each oyster from the grill the second the shell pops open (even if it is ever so slightly open) dumping out the juices onto the coals. Do not delay in removing them from the grill, as they will cook up to nothing!
- 5Pry off top shells with an oven mitt, pull the oyster off of the top shell. Dump out juices, return oyster to the shell and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Grill Oysters
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.0
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 150.0 mg
- Sodium 318.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 28.3 g