1/3 Photos of How to Get Kids to Eat their Veggies Spaghetti Sauce
1 hr 15 mins
This is how I used to get my kids to eat their vegetables when all they wanted was meat in their sauce! It cooks down to a wonderful consistency and they all love it, even now when they're all grown up!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (26 ounce) can spaghetti sauce (I use Del Monte Garlic and Herb, or Four Cheese)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 red pepper, chopped fine (I use 1/2 red, 1/2 green)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 lb ground beef or 1/2 lb ground chicken, browned (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounces boxes spaghetti noodles or 6 ounces boxes angel hair pasta or 6 ounces boxes penne pasta
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1In a large saucepan,saute vegetables (except corn) and garlic for 5-7 minutes in olive oil.
- 2Add spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce,corn, sugar, basil, oregano and 1 cup water.
- 3If using meat,brown and add now.
- 4Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 5Stir occasionally, adding water if it gets too thick.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 7When nearly done, cook pasta as directed on package, drain, and serve with sauce.
- 8You may add any other vegs.
- 9you like.
- 10Serve with garlic bread and a nice salad.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Get Kids to Eat their Veggies Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.5
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 27.0 mg
- Sodium 527.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 14.4 g