I did'nt know what to do with the large quantity of potatoes dh came home with. There is just the 2 of us. I gave away what I could. I did not feel up to making potato dishes to freeze so I found this on the internet. As a test, I just tried this with a few potatoes. I sure was surprised how good they were after they thawed. I cooked them, and made mashed, chopped a couple , and roasted on a sheet pan with oil and herbs. Now I will not have to have potatoes go bad on me. Next, I'll make a little potato salad as a test.
My Private Note
- 11. Choose potatoes with firm flesh, few bruises, and no sprouts.
- 22. Wash the potatoes. Scrub off the dirt and debris with a stiff-bristled brush.
- 33. Peel the potatoes. Use a peeler to remove the potato skin, or if you're working with new potatoes, scrape it off. Rinse the potatoes to prepare them for blanching.
- 44. If the potatoes are large, chop them in half before blanching.
- 55. Don't cut the potatoes into small pieces; it's better to store them whole if possible.
- 66. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. In the meantime, prepare a large bowl with ice water and set it aside.
- 77. Plunge the potatoes into the boiling water. Allow them to blanch for 3 to 5 minutes. This process cleanses the potatoes of organisms and preserves their flavor and color.
- 88.Remove the potatoes from heat and place them in the ice water.
- 9Transfer the potatoes directly from the pot to the ice water bath using a slotted spoon or tongs.
- 109. Allow them to cool for about ten minutes.
- 1110. Drain the potatoes when they are chilled, and pat them dry.
- 1211. Place the potatoes in airtight storage bags. You may also use a freezer-safe container.
- 13Make sure the potatoes aren't wet when you place them in the bags, or ice will form.
- 1412. Put enough potatoes in each bag to make a meal for your family. This way you'll be able to defrost exactly as many as you need at once.
- 15Store the potatoes in the freezer. They will keep for up to a year.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Freeze Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (1001 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 28.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g