48 hrs 5 mins
I cannot say how much zest one fruit yields. This is more of a technique. I needed dried zest for Chipotle Dry Rub #461844 and found the store-bought stuff just ridiculously expensive. Citrus zest enlivens various recipes: tea blends, mulled cider, cakes, pies, oatmeal, cookies, jellies & preserves, use in place of extracts, in caking frostings, flavored honey & butters, meat rubs, sauces & bbq sauce or give as a gift. Cook time is drying time.
My Private Note
- 1If at all possible, start with an organic orange, lemon or other citrus fruit. While organic is ideal, thoroughly washing and drying store-bought citrus fruit should make the fruit safe to eat. I listed 4 fruits, but would zest, dry and store separately.
- 2Using a microplane or zester, pull the zest across the surface of the fruit, working around any discolored or bad spots. Only pull off the colored portion leaving the white, bitter pith behind.
- 3Spread it in a single layer on a plate or waxed paper and leave it exposed to the air until it is dry enough to be brittle (a couple of days).
- 4Store the dried zest it in a sealed jar in a cool, dry place.
- 5Some Tips:.
- 6Zest prior to cutting into the fruit. It's easier to handle and less messy. Make it a habit to zest prior to using the fruit to have a supply on hand.
- 7Rubbing between two fingers will release the oils prior to adding to a recipe.
- 8For an alternative process, use the zesting process over waxed paper, fold several times and freeze in a zip locked bag.
- 9Take advantage of fruit when it's highly available and low in price.
- 10Be careful while zesting. Tools are sharp.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Dry Citrus Zest (Lemon/Orange/Lime/Grapefruit)
Serving Size: 1 (594 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g