1/8 Photos of How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
There are so many ways to serve this wonderful veggie. I use it in place of pasta. You can experiment with different sauces and herbs to create a great tasting dish. Try it with Alfredo sauce, or add some pesto and butter or your favorite herbs. Look for more recipes I posted for this veggie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1(BAKE IT).
- 2Pierce the whole shell several times with a large fork or skewer and place in baking dish.
- 3Cook squash in preheated 375°F oven approximately 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until flesh is tender, It took about 1 1/2 hours for mine to tender up.
- 5(BOIL IT).
- 6Heat a pot of water large enough to hold the whole squash.
- 7When the water is boiling, drop in the squash and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on its size.
- 8When a fork goes easily into the flesh, the squash is done.
- 10(MICROWAVE IT).
- 11Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds.
- 12Place squash cut sides up in a microwave dish with 1/4 cup water.
- 13Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on size of squash.
- 14Add more cooking time if necessary.
- 15Let stand covered, for 5 minutes.
- 16With fork "comb" out the strands.
- 18(SLOW COOKER or CROCK-POT).
- 19Choose a smaller spaghetti squash (unless you have an extra large slow cooker) so that it will fit.
- 20Add 2 cups of water to slow cooker.
- 21Pierce the whole shell several times with a large fork or skewer, add to Crock Pot, cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- 22Once the squash is cooked, let it cool for 10 to 20 minutes so it will be easier to handle, before cutting in half (if it wasn't already) and removing the seeds. Pull a fork lengthwise through the flesh to separate it into long strands, (See photos.).
- 23You can do these steps ahead of time, then prepare any of the spaghetti squash recipes whenever the mood strikes.
- 24BUYING & STORING.
- 25When buying spaghetti squash, look for hard fruit that is heavy for its size, about eight to nine inches in length and four to five inches in diameter and with a pale even color. Avoid any squash with soft spots and green color is a sign of immaturity. The average four-pound spaghetti squash will yield about five cups.
- 26Spaghetti Squash can be stored at room temperature for about a month. After cutting, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days. Spaghetti squash also freezes well. Pack cooked squash into freezer bags, seal, label and freeze. Partially thaw before re-using, then steam until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.7
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 77.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
your favorite sauce