Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A rice cooker, which we can use to cook the rice and keep warm by only pushing one switch, is very convenient and most common. But I like the traditional way of using a pot. It makes rice noticeably tastier. Actually, Michelin-star Japanese restaurants absolutely use the pot instead of an electric rice cooker.
- Drain rice into sieve, and place in a pot. Add water.
- Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When it starts boiling. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15minutes.
- Turn off the burner, and let it rest for 10minutes, covered. DON’T take off the lid.
- After it has rested, take off the lid, and stir the rice lightly using rice paddle.*.
- *To do this, you need to cut through the rice with rice paddle and turn the rice from bottom to the top. Don’t break up the rice too much. This idea is to stop it being one solid mass, but not separate as with long grain rice.