Beans. Beans. The Magical Fruit. The More You Eat. The More You...Alright. Alright. I couldn't help myself. I'm surrounded by little kids who think that saying the word "toot" is the FUNNIEST thing...EVER! There really isn't anything funnier than a little kid giggling after saying "toot." That word invokes a special giggle. And I can't help but laugh when I hear this "toot-y" giggle. Such is the life as a mom of young children! No really, beans are good for your heart. And they are magical. They are loaded with good fiber and when paired with other food that are incomplete proteins, they are an excellent source of complete protein. I love them because they are so inexpensive...and nutritious! If you're intimidated by cooking dried beans, let me help...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried beans
- water, enough to cover beans by at least 1 inch
- 1Place 1 pound bag of beans into large bowl. Sift and sort through the beans and remove any pieces of dirt and broken beans.
- 2Fill bowls with HOT water to cover beans by at least 2 inches. Remove any beans that float to the top when soaking.
- 3Beans will at least double in size. Soak in HOT water for at least 2 hours, but ideally, soak overnight.
- 4After soaking, drain beans and rinse with cool water.
- 5Place in large pot and cover with at least 2 inches of water.
- 6Place the lid on top with a slight crack. Bring water to a boil. (I crack the lid at the start because I find that when I put the lid on all the way and move onto another task in the kitchen or around the house, the water will be boiling over and make a mess on the stove! So I crack the lid to avoid the spillage.).
- 7Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and then cover completely. Let cook another 1-1 1/2 hours, or until beans are soft.
- 8Drain beans.
- 9Use in your favorite recipe.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Cook Dried Beans
Serving Size: 1 (0 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: