Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
Enjoy this Irish Tradition, but don't know how to cook it? Here is a recipe for a perfect St. Patrick's Day Feast!
- 5 carrots, cut into thirds
- 5 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 (12 ounce) bottleof irish beer
- 5 -6 lbs corned beef brisket
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cored and quartered
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse a beef brisket in cold water to remove any brine and place into a large pot.
- Pour beer over the brisket and add water until the meat is covered by the liquid.
- Add onions, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low for a gentle boil.
- Cook for 4 hours or until meat is fork-tender, skimming foam occasionally.
- Add carrots, potatoes and place cabbage quarters on top of the meat.
- Cook for an additional half-hour until the vegetables are tender. Turn off heat.
- Remove the brisket from the broth and allow it to rest for 10 minutes on a cutting board. Slice against the grain in 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- Serve on a warm platter, arranging carrots and cabbage around the meat strips in the center of the platter.