Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Norwegian coffee cake.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix vanilla and egg, beat until mixed. add the buttermilk and the baking soda; (i have used 7up®) and sift the dry ingredients into this. add the rest of the ingredients, mix well. put the container into the refrigerator chill over night.
- Take out and roll small pieces of the dough into long strips, then form them into a figure eight,(like a pretzel) put them back into the refrigerator for about an hour, when they have raised to approximately what looks to be the right hight. bake in a 450 degree f pre-heated oven for approximately 6 to 8 minutes, (may vary with the weather so keep an eye on them) but they should be a light brown before you remove them.
- Refrigeration is one of the keys of "kringla" making. they must be refrigerated in order for them to get the flavor, you could bake them without refrigeration but you lose a lot of the flavor. you can also use. a: oatmeal. b: raisins. c: whole wheat.