Prep 48 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
For those of you that don't know, a country ham is cured with salt. it needs no refrigeration until after all the cooking is done, but you have to cook it a certain way or the whole ham will be ruined. It takes a little time, but it’s sure worth it. There is nothing like a country ham. I like to slice it and eat it on biscuits. PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO THE TEE--THE SALT MUST BE EXTRATED FROM THE MEAT OR IT WILL TASTE HORRIBLE.
- Scrub ham thoroughly with a stiff brush.
- Place ham in large pot or pan--even a cooler will work. Cover it completely with water and allow to soak for 24 hours, (discard water).
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Put ham in large roaster fat side up and again cover completely with water. place in oven on lowest shelf and bake for 2 hours. Turn ham to other side and cook another 2 hours. It takes 4 to 41/2 hours in all or 15 to 18 minutes per pound for a good tender ham.
- Remove ham from oven, but leave in water overnight (do NOT refrigerate).
- The next day preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove and discard ham skin. Sprinkle fat with ground cloves.
- Combine sugar with enough vinegar to make a paste and brush on ham. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes; let rest for 1 hour out of the oven, then slice and serve.