Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick and easy way to get rid of the sand and grit from fresh clams.
Make and share this How to Clean Clams recipe from Food.com.
- clam, fresh hardshell
- cold water, Enough to cover your clams
- 1 -3 tablespoon cornmeal, Depending on how many clams you have
- Put the clams in a large bowl and cover with cold water.
- Add the cornmeal to the water.
- Let clams sit for 20 minutes to 1 hour. The clams should filter the water through their systems and spit out their grit.
- Remove the clams from the water - DO NOT pour into a colander - to a clean surface.
- Scrub the clams with a brush to get rid of any barnacles or residual sand, and rinse with cold water.
- Your clams are now ready for cooking!