1/1 Photo of How to Choose and Cut a Mango
I am often afraid of trying new produce because I'm not sure what it should look like when ripe. This, however, is not the case with mangoes. I have lots of experience with mangoes. We had a tree in the neighboring yard when we lived in the Dominican Republic. They can be super delicious, when picked at the right time and eaten at the right time. I will say I have only had 2 good mangoes since returning to the US. One just last week.
My Private Note
- 1How to Choose a Ripe Mango:.
- 2Press your thumb into the skin of the mango. If it "indents easily," as you can sorta see below my thumb, then it is ready to be eaten. The softer the mango, the more ripe!
- 3How to Cut a Mango:.
- 4Slice the bottom off as close to the skin as you can -- Allowing the mango to stand on its own on the cutting board!
- 5Slice around the edges from top to bottom in 1 inch slices.
- 6Slice all the way around -- leaving just the green top!
- 7Lay the mango on it side and cut off the green top.
- 8Look closely and you'll see a small white spot in the middle of the mango. Its below the green skin, sorta in the middle. That is the seed and will give you and indication of where to place your knife so that you can slice off a large piece of "mango meat" in one slice.
- 9There is a smaller section of mango left on each side of the seed. Cut along the last side of the seed.
- 10You should be left with 2 large mango sections and 2 smaller mango pieces.
- 11Dice up mango into bite size (or smaller) pieces. It's ready to be munched on or thrown into your favorite rice!
- 12Not sure what to do with the seed. Give it to your kiddos and let them eat off the rest of the mango form the seed. Beware: Juicy mango seeds make a big MESS!
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Choose and Cut a Mango
Serving Size: 1 (672 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.2
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 91.8 g
- Protein 5.5 g