Turkey brine is not created equal...Different salt has different salinity. Use this info before using your favorite brine or use this simple one. Other turkey tips included...=)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix in a plastic container or stockpot until dissolved.
- 2Makes 1 gallon of brining solution.
- 3Salinity differs!
- 4Determine the amount of brine needed to cover a 12-14 pound whole turkey.
- 5Tips: Start brining method the day before you plan to cook the turkey.
- 6Use a fresh or completely thawed turkey.
- 7Wash the bird inside and out and remove the giblet bag and neck.
- 8(Save for Giblet Gravy) In a large stockpot, plastic tub or cooler mix up brine and stir until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved.
- 9Place the turkey in the brine solution, breast down.
- 10Cover and chill for 6 to 8 hours.
- 11If you brine overnight reduce the salt and sugar by half so the turkey does not retain too much salt.
- 12Remove the turkey from brine, rinse inside and out under cold running water.
- 13Pat dry with paper towels.
- 14Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 15Place turkey on shallow roasting pan.
- 16Tie legs together and tuck wings underneath the bird.
- 17Coat the skin with butter or olive oil.
- 18Cover the breast loosely with aluminum foil.
- 19Add 1 cup water to bottom of pan.
- 20Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the turkey.
- 21Check the wrapper to see how much the turkey weighs and determine the approximately.
- 22cooking time Roast the turkey until temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees or thigh juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- 23During the last 1 to 1 1/2 hours of cooking time remove the aluminum foil from the breast and baste with pan juices to encourage browning.
- 24When the turkey is done, (180 F), allow it to set 20 minutes before carving to allow juices to saturate the meat evenly.
- 25Cooking time: A 12-pound turkey will take about 3 hours and 15 minutes to roast.
- 26Add 15 minutes for each additional pound.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Brine and Roast a Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (810 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.2
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 270.9 mg
- Sodium 8761.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 81.3 g