Prep 8 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Turkey brine is not created equal...Different salt has different salinity. Use this info before using your favorite brine or use this simple one. Other turkey tips included...=)
- Mix in a plastic container or stockpot until dissolved.
- Makes 1 gallon of brining solution.
- Salinity differs!
- Determine the amount of brine needed to cover a 12-14 pound whole turkey.
- Tips: Start brining method the day before you plan to cook the turkey.
- Use a fresh or completely thawed turkey.
- Wash the bird inside and out and remove the giblet bag and neck.
- (Save for Giblet Gravy) In a large stockpot, plastic tub or cooler mix up brine and stir until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved.
- Place the turkey in the brine solution, breast down.
- Cover and chill for 6 to 8 hours.
- If you brine overnight reduce the salt and sugar by half so the turkey does not retain too much salt.
- Remove the turkey from brine, rinse inside and out under cold running water.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place turkey on shallow roasting pan.
- Tie legs together and tuck wings underneath the bird.
- Coat the skin with butter or olive oil.
- Cover the breast loosely with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 cup water to bottom of pan.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the turkey.
- Check the wrapper to see how much the turkey weighs and determine the approximately.
- cooking time Roast the turkey until temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees or thigh juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- During the last 1 to 1 1/2 hours of cooking time remove the aluminum foil from the breast and baste with pan juices to encourage browning.
- When the turkey is done, (180 F), allow it to set 20 minutes before carving to allow juices to saturate the meat evenly.
- Cooking time: A 12-pound turkey will take about 3 hours and 15 minutes to roast.
- Add 15 minutes for each additional pound.
Thank you! This recipe is saved to my cookbook. I will always brine now.
Best turkey ever!!! Will do this again.