Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Well, the first rule is NEVER boil eggs. They should be called Hard Cooked Eggs. Boiled eggs can be rubbery and hard to peel but this is a simple method I have used forever and I never have a problem with the yolk looking green or the shells sticking. Make sure your eggs are at least 5 days old so the shells remove easily. Hope you try this! It has worked for me for almost 50 years.
- Cover the eggs with cold tap water in a pot and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Do not let the eggs boil and do not cover.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes (large eggs) and remove from heat.
- Drain water and cover the eggs with cold water, draining and refreshing cold water as it warms up. Do this for a few minutes.
- Drain the water out of the pan and put the lid on it.
- Gently - verrrrrry gently - shake the pan up and down until you no longer hear the hard sound of the eggs, but rather the gentler sound of the shells being cracked.
- Remove the lid and cover the eggs with cold water again.
- Under a slow but steady stream of cold water remove the shells. They should come off in one piece.
- Place the eggs on a paper towel to remove moisture and then proceed with your recipe.
This is by far the best method I have ever used for making easy-to-peel hard "boiled" eggs, and believe me I've tried 'em all. I have laying chickens and it's extremely difficult to peel the fresh eggs without tearing the egg to pieces. Using this method, the shells literally slipped right off. A few were still a tiny bit hard to peel but no where near as hard as with other methods. And with this method NONE of the eggs got destroyed torn up, even the ones that were a little harder to peel. Thanks Secret Agent! You sure know the secret to a great hard "boiled" egg!
Timing boiled eggs depends on the size and degree of hardness desired. You should start timing the eggs from the moment the water first boils. Soft-boiled (soft whites, soft yolks): Large size: 3 minutes 20 seconds. Medium size: 3 minutes. Small size: 2 minutes 40 seconds. Medium-boiled (hard whites, soft yolks): Large size: 4 minutes 15 seconds. Medium size: 3 minutes 50 seconds. Small size: 3 minutes 20 seconds. Hard-boiled (hard whites, hard yolks): Large size: 10 minutes. Medium size: 8 minutes. Small size: 7 minutes. TIPS A little salt in the water will keep eggs from cracking when boiling. Add a little vinegar to the water if or when an egg did cracks during boiling. It will help seal the egg. I like How to Boiled Eggs 101 it go into eggs more, this good to stare with. thank for some info. Thank You, Grpa!