If spinach scares you, this is one recipe that contains spinach that you do not have to be afraid of! It is so delicious that even my picky kids like it. My mother-in-law makes this for get-togethers and she passed the recipe on to me. You can also use Broccoli instead of the Spinach, which she does often, but I have never tried...it is great the way it is! She also eats this hot or cold, but I only like it hot :) Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place spinach in strainer and squeeze all extra liquid from it.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach with the rest of ingredients, except croutons, and combine well.
- Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish and top with croutons.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbling around edges.
This recipe was excellent the first time we prepared it as written, However; In a hurry? Substitute 1-1/2 pounds raw spinach (no need to thaw or chop) and mix it in (no need to cook). I used crumbled Ritz crackers for the topping. If you have to wash the spinach, shake it well. Otherwise use it right out of the bag. The same results are achieved in half the time.
Great way to make spinach that doesn't taste too much like spinach. I needed to make it non dairy, so I had to use "cream" of mushroom soup and skip the cheese, so it was not as creamy as it should have been. However, the non-spinach fans ate it and the spinach fans thought it was great.
I dont know Sueies familys problem but mine all have loved it for years!!! Even got my inlaws and friends making it for their get togethers , often served, Bonnie