Recipe by puppitypup
I found this on the epicurean.com under Canadian recipes. I haven't tried it yet, but it claims to produce a moist, tasty ham that's not overly salty like most. Posted for ZWT.
Top Review by margie.dyer
I purchased a 20 lb whole smoked ham from Tom Thumb for Easter Dinner and I was afraid that this wouldn't work, but it really did! Just as Carmen B. previously posted, I used 1 liter bottle ginger-ale and marinated for 5 hrs. then turned over and marinated overnight. This is such an ingenious way to de-salt ham! Thanks for the recipe!
- 5 lbs ham, with bone-in
- 2 (12 ounce) cans ginger ale
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and trim the fat from the ham.
- Marinate in the Ginger Ale for at least 4 hours in the fridge, turning if needed.
- Place in foil lined baking dish.
- Mix together the beer, mustard and molasses, spread over ham.
- Cover ham with foil and bake 15 minutes per pound, then remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.