1/1 Photo of Hovis (Malted Brown Bread)
1 hr 15 mins
Ahhhh... high school memories! One certain Mr. Brown was my maths teacher and had a great sense of humour. Which was just as well. You see, it was during his tenure at Lanark Grammar School that a British baking company (sorry, I've forgotten their name) introduced their delicious malty brown bread which they marketed under the brand name "Hovis" and they launched the product with TV commercials that proclaimed, simply, "Don't say brown - say 'Hovis'". Yep, you guessed it. From that day forth, our beloved teacher was known and addressed as Hovis. So here's a copycat recipe, in his memory.
My Private Note
Hovis l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 1-pound loaf tin well.
- 2Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well together to form a thick batter.
- 3Turn the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- 4Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- 5Serve sliced, spread with butter.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hovis (Malted Brown Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.6
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 297.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 3.3 g