Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from the Orlando Sentinel under Thought You'd Never Ask - LOCAL RESTAURANT RECIPES - This dish is spicy and my favorite meatloaf. I have added notes to make this low carb. Very good leftovers too.
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sliced green onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 2⁄3 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup (May use Low Carb Ketchup)
- 2 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 12 ounces ground pork (can omit pork and use 3 lbs hamburger meat)
- 4 eggs (3 eggs if Low Carb)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (substitute pork rinds for Low Carb)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- Heat oven to 325°F Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in large pan. Sauté onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic until tender. Stir in cream, ketchup. Cook 5 minutes. Cool. Combine with remaining ingredients. Fill pan with mixture, packing to make sure there are no air pockets. Bake 2 hours, or until internal temperature is 160°F Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Drain grease. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- How to make gravy: Saute 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, 10 ounces diced Spanish onions, 10 ounces diced bell peppers and 10 ounces diced celery in 1/4 cup hot vegetable oil until soft and mushrooms have released their liquid. Add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 ounce Worcestershire sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken base. Turn off heat. Drizzle in 3 1/2 ounces flour ( Substitute 4 TBSP corn starch for low carb ) . Mix with whisk so that flour is well incorporated. Slowly mix in 48 ounces beef stock with whisk, making sure there are no lumps. Turn on heat. Bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally so gravy does not stick to pan. Simmer 15 minutes on low. Remove from heat. Cover meatloaf slices with gravy.