Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Once you try making your own ketchup you will wonder why you ever bothered to buy it. This has a beautiful flavour. Store this in sealed containers in the refrigerator. You can also can this using standard canning procedures if you wish.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 cups aged red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown sugar
- In a large pot, combine the tomato paste, water, red wine and balsamic vinegars, mustard, cunnamon, cumin, cloves and mace. Whisk well and add the brown sugar. cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or so, until the flavours marry.
- Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes, then pour into glass bottles with tight fitting lids. Store in sealed containers in the refrigerator.
Found that the vinegar's were too over-powering. Added garlic & onion powder's, honey and paprika in hope of balancing it out, but to no avail. I hate wasting food so i'm going to find another purpose for the sauce.