1/1 Photo of Houlihan's Shrooms and Dipping Sauce (Copycat)
3 hrs 55 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe I found, and improved
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Herb Cheese Filling
- 1/2 teaspoon ranch dressing mix
- 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 6 -8 large button mushrooms
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Combine ranch dressing with cream cheese and let sit for 10 - 15 minutes or longer so the flavors integrate.
- 2Clean the mushrooms and remove the stems, leaving only the caps.
- 3When the cheese has rested, use a teaspoon to fill the mushroom caps with the herb cheese mixture.
- 4Combine the flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- 5Pour the milk into another bowl.
- 6Dip each mushroom first into the milk, then into the flour. Do this twice for each mushroom so that each has been double-coated.
- 7Put the coated mushrooms into the freezer for at least 3 hours. This will keep the coating from falling off, and it will keep the cheese inside from expanding too fast and leaking out of the mushroom when frying.
- 8Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce by combining all of the ingredients ina small bowl. Keep the sauce covered and chilled until ready to serve it.
- 9When the mushrooms are frozen, heat the oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350 degrees F.
- 10Use enough oil to completely cover the mushrooms (or at least a couple of inches deep). Fry the mushrooms for 8 - 10 minutes or until the outside turns a golden brown. Drain the mushrooms on a rack or paper towels.
- 11Let the mushrooms sit for a couple of minutes before serving- they will be very hot on the inside. Serve with the dipping sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Novelty Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Houlihan's Shrooms and Dipping Sauce (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.8
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.7 mg
- Sodium 784.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ranch dressing mix