Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe I found, and improved
Make and share this Houlihan's Shrooms and Dipping Sauce (Copycat) recipe from Food.com.
Herb Cheese Filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 6 -8 large button mushrooms
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- Combine ranch dressing with cream cheese and let sit for 10 - 15 minutes or longer so the flavors integrate.
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the stems, leaving only the caps.
- When the cheese has rested, use a teaspoon to fill the mushroom caps with the herb cheese mixture.
- Combine the flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the milk into another bowl.
- Dip each mushroom first into the milk, then into the flour. Do this twice for each mushroom so that each has been double-coated.
- Put the coated mushrooms into the freezer for at least 3 hours. This will keep the coating from falling off, and it will keep the cheese inside from expanding too fast and leaking out of the mushroom when frying.
- Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce by combining all of the ingredients ina small bowl. Keep the sauce covered and chilled until ready to serve it.
- When the mushrooms are frozen, heat the oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350 degrees F.
- Use enough oil to completely cover the mushrooms (or at least a couple of inches deep). Fry the mushrooms for 8 - 10 minutes or until the outside turns a golden brown. Drain the mushrooms on a rack or paper towels.
- Let the mushrooms sit for a couple of minutes before serving- they will be very hot on the inside. Serve with the dipping sauce on the side.
This recipe is good but i tried the one with the 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese and 1/2 tsp of hidden valley ranch dry dressing and it is absolutely delicious and tastes just like houli's shrooms omg delicious!!
I havent tried these yet but am a huge fan of these shrooms at houlihan's! I, too, had searched this recipe out.. and the only think different I found was that on the herb cheese filling, instead of using all the seasonings... it just called for 1/3 c. of whipped cream cheese and a 1/2 t. of ranch dressing mix (dry). Has anyone tried it this way? I heard that is the same combo they use in the stuffed chicken breast there (which I also love!) :)
Did a baked version, and it was incredible!! Used this recipe for the filling and dipping sauce then used this recipe: Baked Crisp-Coated Mushrooms (Baked Crisp-Coated Mushrooms) for the coating. Houlihan's left our area a few years ago...have been missing these shrooms ever since!