Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from chef Gail Stanfield of the Hotel Condon in Condon, Oregon.
Make and share this Hotel Condon Corn Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Then add the creamed corn, and melted butter. Whisk in the sugar until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Slowly add the flour mixture into the large bowl until combined. Fold in the diced chiles and cheese until combined.
- Place the mixture into a greased 10-inch round cake pan (with 3-inch walls) and smooth the top of the batter.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool the bread for 15 minutes on a rack.
- Invert the bread onto a platter and drizzle with honey. Cool completely, then cut and serve.
I didn't add the chiles, and I used cheddar instead of Mexican blend cheese, and it turned out excellent. I'm sure it's the best cornbread I've ever made.
Delicious corn bread! I've made this twice a week for a month or so, and I have made a few changes (not many) to adapt it to my taste. I bake in a cast iron skillet (posted pic) and bake for 35 min. I melt the butter in the skillet and whisk it into the egg and corn mixture slowly, so as not to set the eggs. Coating the pan with the residual butter gives the crust an amazing flavor and texture... I omit the green chilis, instead adding a few drops of Mexican hot sauce and a few pinches of cayenne. For the cheese I use shredded pepper jack. When it cools, I drip on some honey. THIS IS PERFECT!!
Very tasty and moist cornbread. My father-in-law had passed this recipe on to me asking me to make it for a party of his and everyone loved it!