Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here is a variation on the meatball sandwich.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 -2 lb zucchini, thickly sliced
- salt, as needed
- pepper, as needed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 ounces marinara sauce
- 8 sweet submarine rolls
- 4 tablespoons butter
- garlic powder, as needed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a large nonstick frying pan put the oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the zucchini and stir-fry.
- A spatula works well to turn over the zucchini.
- Once the zucchini is tender and some pieces have brown spots, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and then add the marinara sauce.
- The marinara sauce can be homemade or store-bought.
- Heat until the sauce is hot.
- Remove from heat, but keep the sauce warm.
- Take sweet submarine sandwich rolls and split them.
- Butter each side and put garlic powder on one half and Parmesan cheese on the other half.
- Place on a baking sheet and broil the rolls until lightly toasted.
- Remove the bread from the oven and place on plates.
- Put some of the zucchini mixture on the bottom half of a roll.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and top with the remaining piece of bread.