Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick and easy crust that is dairy-free and melts in your mouth.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon soy margarine
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, add the first three ingredients and mix until creamy.
- This might take a couple of minutes; be patient.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until dough forms.
- Knead dough for two minutes.
- Wrap dough in wax paper and chill in the fridge for a minimum of three hours and a maximum of 24 hours.
- Makes two crusts or one crust with a lattice design on top.
I have been looking for this recipe for a long time. It was as good as I had been told it was. I did use regular margarine, and it was fine. It was light and flakey. Excellent.
Absolutely PERFECT recipe. I landed up making three pies in just over one week because this recipe (along with your vegan apple pie one) was exceptional. I'm making one for Thanksgiving. Tip: Might at well double the ingredients and stick one in the freezer (freezes perfectly) because it is that good. I used vegan butter and it worked perfectly. Thank you SO much!
Wow. This was like a pie-crust-for-dummies recipe. If I can make it, anyone can! I let the dough sit in the fridge overnight. It was great! I used a wheat flour instead, and it worked wonderfully!