Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
It's hard to beat a warm piece of gingerbread on a crisp fall evening. This one's sure to please.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- whipped topping (storebought or homemade)
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, ginger, and baking soda; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine eggs, molasses, water, and butter, beating until smooth.
- Gradually add dry ingredients.
- Pour into greased 8 inch square baking dish.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting, and serve with dollop of whipped cream.
delicious! instead of whipping cream i just topped each square with vanilla ice cream, we loved this simple to bake dessert.
As low-fat desserts go, this spicy, medium-golden gingerbread was quite good - it was pretty good, period.