Recipe by Rita~
I first had this last year when a saw it in a liquor store with my Sister.We had it with my Mom and Dad it was great relaxing. If you like honey and spices you'll like this! Meant to be sipped slowly!
Top Review by PanNan
Rita, if I had to pick a list of top recipes I have discovered since joining Zaar, this would be right up there at the top. I'd never make anything like this, and was soooo pleased. I hope it stores well in the fridge. Even though I halved the recipe it made a lot of shot glasses worth! I dissolved the sugar in the microwave and added it to boiling water on the stove. While the spices were boiling the whole house smelled wonderful! I did leave out the vanilla because I used Stoli Vanil (vanilla flavored vodka). I also plan to use this spice combination with plain boiled water for a pot pourri for the house! Everyone came to the kitchen to see what was cooking - the younger set was disappointed to learn they wouldn't get any. The drink was soooo smooth and flavorful. I served it warm. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, so I could discover it.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 10 peppercorns
- 20 allspice berries
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean, sliced and scraped
- 1⁄4 nutmeg, grated
- 2 cloves
- 1 orange, rind of
- 1 1⁄3 cups honey
- 2 cups vodka
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat sugar in 2 Tbs of water until it dissolves, then stir in the boiling water.
- Add vanilla bean, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and allspice berries.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the caramel mixture and return to the pan.
- Stir in honey and orange rind and heat, stirring, until the honey has completely dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir vodka.
- Serve hot or cold.