Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Need something different but time is scarce? The ingredients for this tasty lunch are probably right in your kitchen as you read this.The recipe is for two sandwiches but can be doubled or tripled as needed.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread (can use bread of choice)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, divided, room temp
- 7 1⁄2 ounces tuna in water
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray baking pan with sides with cooking oil.
- Mix eggs, 1 tbls butter, 1/4 cup soup together.
- Butter two slices of bread and place on pan, buttered side up. Spread egg mixture on top.
- Butter two more slices of bread on both sides. Place on top of egg mixture.
- Mix tuna, onion, mayonnaise together.
- Spread on top of second slice of bread.
- Butter two more slices of bread on one side only. Place buttered side up on top of tuna mixture.
- Bake until golden brown. Mix remaining soup with milk and heat. Serve over sandwiches.
Mmmm! Nothing like a hot and crispy sandwich on a cold day! I didnt' have soup, so I made a white sauce with half the milk, took out some of the thick sauce (for the egg mixture), then added the rest of the milk and finished the sauce. I also left out the butter and onions, added pepper, and left off the top slice of bread. I put sliced tomato on top of the hot sandwich and covered it all with the white sauce. Since I didn't think my kids would eat it, I made one sandwich and then mixed everything that was left with a little more milk, heated it, and mixed it with pasta. That was delicious, too. I think next time I will try just mixing all the fillings and putting them between two slices of bread. Thanks for a delicious recipe.
sorry to say it wasn't my favorite. it seems like a good idea but the flavor just wasn't there. i'm going to try again sometime next week with more spices and pickles.
This was a really good combination. I didn't think I would like egg salad made with soup but it turned out good. I used cream of chicken soup b/c that's what I had. I think you could make it with either just egg salad or just tuna salad and it would be really good too. I made 4 sandwiches out of this and baked them in loaf pans for 13 minutes.