Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
I haven't made this yet but it looks delicious for a 'sandwich night'!!
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts, cutlets (about 1 lb total)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sourdough rolls, halved
- salsa verde
- 1 (3 ounce) canroasted mild green chilies, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 ounces queso fresco or 4 ounces feta cheese
- 4 ounces gouda cheese or 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- In a shallow bowl, combine lemon juice, cornstarch, garlic, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Add chicken cutelets, toss to coat.
- Heat a large, heavy nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add 1 TBSP of the oil and saute chicken until browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside and wipe pan clean for later use.
- Open each roll and lightly brush the outsides with the remaining oil.
- Inside, spread a spoonful of salsa, then a layer of chicken, a layer of diced chilis, a sprinkling of cumin and both cheeses. Top with sour cream, then press sandwich closed.
- Heat skillet over med-high heat and place sandwiches in skillet.
- Reduce heat to med-low and cook until bread is golden in spots and cheese has melted, about 6 minutes per side.
- For crisper, thinner sandwiches, press the sandwiches as they cook, by weighting them with another skillet or a wide-bottomed saucepan.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately, with additional salsa on the side.