Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This curry has a nice thick sauce, and using red and green peppers gives it extra color. It can be served with either wholemeal chapatis or plain boiled rice. Adapted from a recipe for chicken in the "Hot & Spicy Kitchen Handbook."
- 2 tablespoons corn oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion seeds
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, pulp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, pulp
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 -4 cups firm tofu (cubed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 3 fresh green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- fresh coriander sprig
- In a medium pan, heat the oil and fry the fenugreek and onion seeds until they turn a shade darker. Add the chopped onions, garlic and ginger, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions turn golden brown. Turn the heat to very low.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix together the ground coriander, chili powder, salt, canned tomatoes, and lemon juice.
- Pour this mixture into the pan and turn the the heat up to medium. Stir-fry fro about 3 minutes.
- Add the tofu pieces and stir-fry for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the fresh coriander, green chillies and the red and green bell peppers. Lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes until the tofu is cooked.
- serve hot, garnished with fresh coriander sprigs.
Tasty dish, spices are nice altho I did cut back the "heat" quite a bit. This was certainly an easy dish to prepare, I found it really benefited from being allowed to simmer for an extra 30 minutes or so. I think next time I'd brown up the tofu first, or maybe use some pre-marinated. thanks DitaVT!