Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From "Tomatoes" by Manisha Gambhir Harkins. Posted for ZWT III. This is really really good.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄4 cup green curry paste
- 3 -4 slices fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outter leaves discarded and insides finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 lb shrimp, uncooked, peeled, deveined, and shells reserved for the stock
- 7 green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- brown sugar
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 small hot chili pepper, halved lenghtwise
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised and split in half lengthwise
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 -4 shallots, halved
- jasmine rice, to serve
- For the stock: Put the shrimp shells, chile, lemongrass, garlic, and shallots in a saucepan with 1 quart of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about a half hour and then pour through a strainer. Only 1 1/2 cups of the stock is needed for this recipe. Reserve the rest by freezing.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and add the curry paste. Stir fry for several minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the shrimp stock, ginger, and lemongrass to the pot and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a rapid simmer.
- Add the coconut milk and stir constantly to keep it from separating.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until just done.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for one minute so they're just heated through.
- Add the sugar, green onions, and cilantro.
- Serve with the jasmine rice to soak up the juice.