Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are so good with their spices and sauce. I like to serve them with corn bread.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the first 8 ingredients together, gradually adding in water.
- In a large pot, bring the tomato juice, sauce, water, sugar and salt to a boil.
- Form the tamale mixture into walnut-size balls and drop into boiling juice.
- Boil softly for 30 minutes.
- NOTE: The longer this cooks the more flavorful it becomes.
Has a really good taste but did not care for the texture of the cornmeal mixed with the ground beef. If choosing to make this recipe..recommend using a very large pot. Some of my meatballs fell apart and "I think that it was because my pot wasn't big enough. KyTrisha
i was a little put off at first but this recipe is SO easy and delish! it tastes exactly like a tamale! two thumbs up!