Recipe by Connie K
This recipe comes from The Blue Owl Restaurant in Kimmswick, MO. This soup doesn't just taste like tamales, it includes purchased tamales! I've used jarred tamales, but can also use frozen ones. The touch of cinnamon makes this soup special. This recipe is not only easy and quick recipe, but delicious, too!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped,with juice
- 12 purchased tamales, 3 ounces each
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed,drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook first four ingredients over medium-high heat, breaking up meat until browned; Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne and cinnamon and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth and tomatoes with juice.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat tamales according to package instructions.
- Stir beans and corn into soup; Simmer until corn is just heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Place 2 tamales into each of 6 bowls.
- Sprinkle with cheese and sour cream and serve.