Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the cookbook A Man, A Can, A Plan. I use a package of Smart Ground vegetarian soy crumbles and 8 oz ground turkey breast instead of the ground beef, and lowfat cheese.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ounces sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 11 ounces Mexican-style corn, drained
- 16 ounces prepared polenta
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, brown the beef and onion; drain.
- Add the tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, corn, olives, and chili powder.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then scrape into a 2 1/2-qt baking dish.
- Cut the polenta lengthwise into quarters, then slice across the quarters into wedges 1/4" thick.
- Scatter over the meat.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake 10-15 minutes more.
My family LOVED this. Thank you for sharing it. I did have to adapt the recipe to the ingredients I had on hand, so I used cornbread instead of polenta and fresh chopped tomatoes with a jalapeno instead of the canned ones. It was wonderful... and easy. I couldn't ask for more.