Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe was given to us by a good friend who serves it at his annual Christmas party. We have found it a hearty, satisfying dip, great for parties, or even just for dinner! It freezes well, so we usually hold some back for another time. We also keep ground beef, cooked with onion, in the freezer. This makes recipes such as this a snap to put together. We hope you enjoy!
- 2 -3 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (22 ounce) cans chili beans
- 1 (16 ounce) jar taco sauce or 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 (16 ounce) packagesshredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Add 1 package dry taco seasoning to beef. Stir well.
- Add 1 chopped onion to beef mixture. Stir well.
- Combine beef mixture, 2 large cans of chili beans, and 1 jar taco sauce or salsa in a crock pot. Mix well.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on low in crock pot. About 25 minutes prior to serving, top with cheese. We like to make a nice layer on top, but then add more cheese as the dip gets eaten.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
This makes a great dip! I cut the recipe in half and used 1 lb. hamburger and 1/2 a jar of taco sauce. I didn't put it in the slow cooker and instead simmered it, covered, on the stove for 30 minutes or so and then added the cheese and recovered for a few minutes until the cheese melted. Everyone loved it! Made for Fall Pick-A-Chef 2012.