This recipe can be made up to 2 hours ahead of time;let cool, then cover and let stand at room temperature. If you use the maximum amount of chili flakes this dish will be quite HOT. The recipe comes from Sunset Magazine.
- Rinse and drain green beans;trim off and discard stem ends.
- Cut green beans into 2- to 3-inch lengths.
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, chili flakes, and white pepper.
- Set a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat.
- When pan is hot, add green beans and 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and cook, stirring once, until beans are bright green and slightly crunchy to bite, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until any remaining water has evaporated.
- Add oil, garlic, and ginger to pan stir until green beans and garlic are slightly browned, 1to 2 minutes.
- Stir soy mixture and add to pan; bring to a boil and stir until most of the liquid has evaporated and the sauce thickens and coats the beans, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour into serving dish.
- Serve hot or cold.