Looking to use sweet potatoes in something other than a casserole? Try this interesting twist in potato salad recipes that begins by roasting the sweet potatoes.... For ZWT classification, please use the West for the sweet potato crops grown in Hawaii.
- 5 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Toss sweet potatoes with sugar, oil, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Roast 25-30 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, saute bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Pour off fat, leaving bacon in pan.
- Add onions and saute 3 minutes.
- Add jelly and vinegar, stirring until jelly melts.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and put in large bowl.
- Add bacon mixture, pecans, lime juice, and scallions to potatoes and toss.
- Season with salt.
Delicious! The creamy sweet potato with the crunchy bacon and tart dressing...perfection! I probably wouldn't have picked this recipe to try but a friend did and I'm so happy about it. I'm going to want more soon. Yum.
I loved it! I am not fond of German potato salad but wanted a different sweet potatoe recipe, so I did not add vinegar. I could not find any red pepper 'flakes', [only crushed red pepper]; so I added a little red pepper jelly, plus full amount of apple jelly. It did need some more salt too. 'Picky eaters' probably won't like it but I was very, very impressed. Thank You for posting it!
This was fantastic! The flavor is almost like hot german potato salad, but with a twist! Easy and impressive! Thank you for a great keeper recipe!