Recipe by BeachGirl
A sweet, crunchy pickle with a slightly tangy bite - but not really hot. These luscious pickles take 3 days from start to finish; however, total time spent on preparation and cooking is less than 1 hour per day - under 3 hours total. Their excellent flavor makes them well worth the effort. I have to hide them to make them last all year long! Labeled and wrapped with a pretty bow, they make great hostess gifts. NOTE: Pickling lime is a powdered food grade hydrated lime manufactured by Ball and other companies. It makes pickles crunchy/crispy.
Top Review by mommyoffour
This is the recipe I was looking for , so glad i've found it. I just finished canning 32 pints and can't wait for try them. I did taste them as I was filling the jars and they were delicious....thank you so much for the lime pickles "just like mom used to make"......Stephanie
- 1 gallon water
- 7 1⁄2 lbs sliced cucumbers
- 1 cup pickling lime
- 2 quarts white vinegar (distilled) or 2 quarts apple cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- 4 1⁄2 lbs granulated sugar (9 cups)
- 3⁄8 ounce pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon salt (not iodized)
Directions See How It's Made
- DAY 1: Soak cucumbers in Soaking Solution of lime and water for 24 hours, making sure all cucumber slices are covered.
- Place a plate on top and weight it with a heavy, clean object, such as a gallon of water.
- DAY 2: Remove cucumbers, wash well until water runs clear.
- Soak in clear water for 3 hours.
- Drain cucumbers and wash again.
- Place cucumbers in the Pickling Solution and leave overnight.
- DAY 3: After soaking cucumbers in the Pickling solution overnight, pour the pickling solution (reserving the cucumbers) into a very large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add cucumbers and bring to a boil again.
- Boil 35 minutes.
- Seal in hot, sterilized, pint or quart canning jars.
- Let jars cool and dry.
- Label and store.
- Chill before serving.
- HOUSE SPECIALTY APPETIZERS: Serve chilled, drained pickles slices in a small bowl.
- Surround with bowls of thinly sliced summer sausage, crackers, and thinly sliced cheeses (cheddar, swiss, havarti, etc).
- To assemble, place summer sausage, pickle slice, and cheese on top of each cracker.