Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of our standard holiday gift recipes. The addition of the salt, cumin and coriander really add an appealing complexity and the cayenne gives it a kick!
- 12 ounces slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F Place almonds in single layer in a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan. Bake 6-9 minutes, or until golden brown. (Watch carefully after 5 minutes, the nuts go from golden to scorched in no time). Remove from oven and place nuts on a plate to cool. Set aside.
- While the almonds cool, mix the salt, cumin coriander, cayenne and 1 T. sugar in a small bowl. In a heavy 3 quart saucepan, heat vinegar and 2 cups sugar to boiling over medium heat. Continue to cook over medium heat until the mixture is a light to medium amber color, stirring occasionally. This will probably take between 10 and 15 minutes, depending on your stove and how heavy the pan is. While the sugar is cooking, spray the jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the jelly roll pan on a trivet or cooling rack. Keep the cooking spray out and have two forks ready for spreading the hot candy in the pan.
- When the sugar mixture is the right color, remove from heat. Stir spice mixture into sugar. Add the almonds and stir to coat evenly. Work fast- this sets up quickly. Immediately pour the mixture onto the prepared pan. Spray the forks with cooking spray and use them to spread the almond mixture into roughly a single layer in the pan.
- Cool brittle completely on jelly roll pan on a wire rack. With hands, break brittle into small pieces. Store in tightly covered jar or tin for up to two weeks.