Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Comforting food at its very best.
- 175 g dates, stoned, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon coffee extract
- 75 g butter
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 175 g self raising flour
- 75 g pecan nuts, chopped
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 115 g butter
- 6 tablespoons double cream
- 50 g pecan nuts, chopped
- Put dates, bicarbonate of soda, and coffee extract in a bowl.
- Pour 175 ml of boiling water over and leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/Gas 4.
- Grease and line a 1 litre basin.
- Put butter and light brown sugar in a bowl and beat.
- Beat in eggs little at a time.
- Fold in flour, dates and pecan mixture which has been soaking.
- Pour into the basin.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes until cooked.
- Around 10 minutes from end of cooking time put the brown sugar, butter, double cream and pecans into a pan.
- Gently stir over heat until smooth.
- Bring to the boil then remove from heat.
- Turn pudding out and serve with the sauce.