Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Originally from Desperation Entertaining by Beverly Mills & Alicia Ross. I found this when I was just married and wanted something easy for when company came over. It's been asked for several times since then. Note: Normally, I do not have a preference for using a certain brand, but this is one of those rare times I do. Stouffer's creamed spinach will produce a far richer dip, but is frequently hard to find in stores in my area...other brands will still make a good dip, though.
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen creamed spinach
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Allow the cream cheese to soften. To thaw out the creamed spinach; place the spinach on a small plate. Cut a slit to vent, and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- After spinach has thawed, pour the creamed spinach into a small, microwave safe bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, stirring well to combine. (It's perfectly fine to have small lumps of cream cheese in the dip at this time.).
- Microwave the mixture, uncovered, on high for 5 minutes. Stir about halfway through cooking, and again before serving.
- NOTES - Serve with tortilla chips. Leftovers make a quick and easy stuffed mushroom, too. If you have Swiss cheese sandwich slices, these can be used, too. Thinly slice the cheese. Just use 2 oz - usually 3-4 slices, depending on thickness of the cheese.
This is a creamy and tasty spinach dip. DH couldnt find the Stouffer's brand frozen creamed spinach so he bought Green Giant's brand. I did add a bit more onion powder and garlic powder along with the swiss cheese. This has a sweeter flavor than what I am used to and I think I would have preferred to finely chop an onion and mince some garlic. I had tortilla chips but I think a dark bread or sourdough bread would go along nicely with this. Made and reviewed for KK's Chef's Pick Tag Game.
this is a great dip, I used fresh minced garlic in place of the powder, added in Tabasco for some heat and baked mine in the oven instead of microwaving, this was made for KK's forum Chef's Pick event, thanks for sharing Misa!