Recipe by Manami
These are wonderful! We had them the other night!!! These have caused quite a stir - for the home; I used a whole Scotch Bonnet pepper without piercing it and it imparts a lovely flavor with a touch of spicy! For the rest of the diners I seeded and chopped the chilli. Found this in a Good Food Magazine, July 2003 edition.--They are 132 calories per serving--
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 1/8lb )
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 red scotch bonnet pepper, seeded & finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut crossways into slices 1" thick; lay each potato on a large sheet of foil, keeping the slices together.
- Drizzle each potato with the olive oil, sprinkle with the thyme leaves, about half of the chopped chilli and season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- With your hands, massage the flavourings into each slice.
- Replace the slices in their original positions.
- Lay a thyme sprig across the top of each potato and sprinkle with the remaining chilli.
- Wrap the foil securely round the potatoes to make two parcels. (You can prepare to this stage up to 24 hours ahead.)
- Put the foil parcels on the rack over the hottest part of the barbecue and cook for 45 minutes until the potatoes are buttery and softened. (Unwrap and test with the point of a knife to check if they're ready).