Chef #573662's Note:
This soup is like the hot and tangy Tom Yum soup served in Thai restaurants. If your grocer doesn't carry lemongrass, use 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon rind. Make ahead and let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until cold. Transfer to airtight container and refrigerate up to 2 days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 6 slices gingerroot
- 6 sliced garlic cloves
- 6 dried hot red chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 8 ounces chunked catfish fillets or 8 ounces peeled and devined shrimp
- 398 ml drained and halved baby corn
- 1 cup halved button mushroom
- 2 thinly slied green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1In saucepan bring chicken stock, water, gingerroot, garlic, hot peppers and sugar to boil.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- 3Strain through a fine sieve and return to pot.
- 4Trim dry ends off lemongrass and peel away any tough outer leaves.
- 5Cut into 1" lengths and add to pot.
- 6Add fish, corn, mushrooms and green onions.
- 7Bring to simmer and simmer for 3 minutes or unt9il fish flakes easily.
- 8Stir in red pepper, coriander, lime rind and juice.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Spicy Soup
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.6
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 157.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: