Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A fast & no-fuss soup that is very filling & extremely low fat. Fits well into any Weight Watchers plan. Can be made with either vegetable or chicken broth. Try the vegetable for a nice change of pace!
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger (can use fresh if on hand)
- 1 quart vegetables or 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Italian-style stewed tomatoes, can be substituted for plain diced tomatoes to lend a spicier flavor.)
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- olive oil
- In a dutch oven, heat enough olive oil to just coat the bottom. Add the onions and garlic & cook until they are softened.
- Mix in the pumpkin, carrots, tomatoes, broth, and spices. Cook for 20-30 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Stir in the fat free half & half before serving.
I really liked this soup. I put mine in bread bowls.... mmm. I only used half the red pepper and it was still nice and spicy. Letting it sit really brings out the flavor. It's even good cold.