Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was a staple in winter while I lived in Romania. It warms you up and then it warms you up. It is also forgiving if you have a cheapie bottle of wine and are not sure what to do with it.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 peppercorns, whole
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
- 1 orange, juice and rind of (peel it and then squeeze out juice)
- 1 apple, peeled and cored
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- Combine everything but the wine in a pan and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and heat to just before boiling. Try not to let it boil or the alcohol will evaporate.
- Strain into cups and serve hot.
- Can be garnished with a cinnamon stick.