Recipe by juniperwoman
I was tired of making the same cloyingly sweet apple cider, so I decided to try this one off allrecipes.com, and, boy, am I ever glad I did! This cider has the perfect mix of tart and sweet and spicy, and it's so easy, too. You can even substitute ground cinnamon for the cinnamon sticks if you want. We did, and the cider still turned out fantastic.
Top Review by flower7
This was lovely! I cut it down to one serving and used a 1" piece of Mexican cinnamon and 2 whole cloves. I didn't have any lemon but I always freeze any fresh lemon juice I might have as a left over so added 1/2 tsp from my stash. Thanks for the recipe!
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 6 cups cranberry juice
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, combine apple cider, cranberry juice, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves and lemon slices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. That's it! You're done.
- (Juniperwoman's Note: If you like, you can use a slotted spoon to remove cinnamon, cloves, and lemon slices, but we just left them in because they looked so festive! If you do remove the lemon slices, you could float individual slices in each serving cup.).