Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely hot spiced cider and tea beverage infused with cinnamon, black peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, fresh ginger, star anise and citrus. Perfect for a chilly autumn or winters eve.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 whole cardamom pods
- 2 whole star anise pods
- 5 coin-size pieces fresh ginger
- 2 inch strips fresh orange peel
- 2 inch strips fresh lemon peel
- 1182.95 ml cold water
- 4 bag orange-pekoe tea
- 709.77 ml apple juice or 709.77 ml apple cider
- 1 orange, juice of
- Lightly crush the cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves, and cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle or on a cutting board with the bottom of a saucepan.
- Transfer the spices to a medium saucepan, add the ginger, star anise and citrus peels. Add the water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered, until aromatic, and the cinnamon stick opens a little, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tea bags to the pan and immediately remove from the heat. Set aside to steep for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the tea bags, and add the apple juice and orange juice. Return the pan to a medium heat and warm, taking care not to let the tea boil.
- Strain and serve hot.
Yum, I enjoyed this hot and cold. Soothing and very good. Thanks! Made for My 3 Chefs event Oct. 2013.