Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from my daughter's school teacher...We had it once after Christmas caroling..it is so delicious after being out on a cold winters night..the smell is absolutely to die for when it's simmering!
- Take large jug of apple cider and pour into large pot on the stove (or into the crockpot if you don't want to use a burner) Heat to a simmer.
- Then add the following ingredients to cider: orange juice concentrate,cinnamon,nutmeg,ginger and cloves.
- Sometimes I add the cranberry juice cocktail but you may leave it out if you wish.
- Let it all simmer for awhile (half an hour at least) The smell wafting through the house while the cider is simmering is simply heaven.
- Serve the hot spiced cider in mugs.
- For a nice touch,add a whole cinnamon stick to each mug.
- Having a large pot of cider simmering on the stove when company arrives is a sure way to make them very happy that they chose to come over to your house.
I served this yesterday at our family holiday get together, and it was a huge hit. It smelled spectacular, and everyone loved it. I used 1/2 of the amount of cranberry juice that it called for and it was great. I added the rind from 1 large orange while it was simmering, then strained it out after the 1/2 hour of simmering. I also added a bunch of those redhot candies. It was delicious!!! I will make it again next year!
I've made this twice now. The first time, I omitted the cranberry juice. The spices were sooo overwhelming. The second time, I included the cranberry juice and cut down all the spices in half except the cinnamon. They were still too overwhelming. Gonna give up on this recipe because a friend of mine makes cider that I love, so I'll just ask for her recipe instead.
Very tasty!! and super easy! even better with shot of rum per mug ;)